Do you have the same problem as us? When searching for a costume for all 4 Family Members, there are many times which I go bananas because both kids can't agree on ANYTHING. This Halloween costume took a little convincing for Love, but she eventually agreed... because I promised to make her an Ariel Costume as well. The little one got 2 Halloween Costumes out of the deal... TWO!
For Halloween, Z wanted to be a Super Hero and Love wanted to be a Princess... Which does not work for this Mama, because I need to have a Family Costume. Alvin & the Chipmunks was a happy compromise and for Love, we adjusted her costume to have a glittered green and hot pink skirt for Theodore, I wore the blue Simon Shirt, while hubby rocked the "Dave" sweater vest. This is quite possibly the EASIEST costume I have ever designed and created for the family. You can do it yourself too, I promise. If you are a little unsure about a glue gun, bobby pins, and felt I'll be more then happy to help you out with a link to purchase all 3 Alvin & the Chipmunk shirts, Chipmunk ears, & red Alvin hat with ears... Just for you!
DIY Instructions for Simon, Theodore & Dave Costume for an Alvin & the Chipmunks Family costume. You can not get much easier than this costume, I suggest digging through your closet before you go shopping.
Lily & Frog Materials:
- Green Long Sleeve Adult T-Shirt (we bought a small Men's)
- Blue Long Sleeve Adult T-Shirt (we bought a small Men's)
- Dark Brown Felt
- Light Brown Felt w a sticky side
- Bobby Pins
- Glue gun
- Sweater vest, button down shirt, and slacks
Lily & Frog Instructions:
1. Green Shirt: I purchased a bright green, long sleeve, Small Men's T-Shirt from my shirt wholesaler. Bright green, long sleeve, Small Men's T-Shirt they are easy enough to find online from Target, Walmart, and more. Love's little arm's were a way too short for the sleeves. I measured from her shoulder to finger tips, measured and marked the length on her green shirt. Then I cut and sewed a seam at this location.
2. Blue Shirt: I purchased a bright blue, long sleeve, Extra Large Men's T-Shirt from my shirt wholesaler. Bright blue, long sleeve, Small Men's T-Shirt they are easy enough to find online from Target, Walmart, and more.
3. Chipmunk Ears: Grab the dark brown felt and light brown felt with sticky side, red hat, and hot glue. I describe the light brown felt with sticky side because it will make your life amazingly easier, trust me. I would suggest preparing your area to prevent damage from the glue gun; I just roll out parchment paper because the hot glue peels right off, but newspaper is perfect as well.
From the dark brown felt cut 2 a HALF OVAL shapes. From the light brown felt cut 2 HALF OVAL shapes, which are slightly skinnier then the dark brown, as pictured below. Pull back the paper backing of the light brown felt with a sticky side, positioning it centered and slightly above the flat bottom of the dark brown half ovals. Repeat this 2 times, one for each ear, as pictured below (I have 4 pictured because I was making 6 total).
To create the cursed and open Chipmunk Ear, pinch and fold the flat bottom edge of the oval together, as pictured below, creating a ice cream cone shape. Place a line of glue along the seam you just created (watch your fingers, it will be HOT). To flip the ear up and open, I placed a tiny dot of glue deep in the ice cream cone shape and pinched the cone at the point from the outside. Somehow, this flipped the ear open, creating an ear which didn't flip down or closed.
Glue the ears to Bobby Pins (hair pins). Pin the bobby pin onto the parchment paper (as though putting it into hair). Place a line of hot glue along the seam of hot glue already on the felt ears and place the felt ear onto the bobby pin (on the parchment paper) along the seam of the ear. You want the open side of the ear to face the fold of the bobby pin ... Takes 3 seconds!
4. Dave Costume: Check your closet for a white button shirt, sweater vest, and slacks... that's it! If you do not have this clothing in the closet, check out the thrift shops, online sales, or borrow from friends. Yes, Hubby has a beard. Yes, we know Dave does not have a beard. No, we didn't want to shave his beard :)
And there is your Troublemaker Alvin! Now, that was an easy, bright, and successful Alvin & the Chipmunks costume... Alvin is just as easy, try it out for yourself!
I L-O-V-E this costume… We make one adorable Alvin & The Chipmunks Family!
As a Side Note: Many, Many of the costumes we have created are also available in a DIY Kit in our online shop at www.lilyandfrog.com. Happy Halloween Shopping!