Do you have the same problem as us? When searching for a costume for all 4 Family Members, there are many times which I go bananas because both kids can't agree on ANYTHING. This Halloween costume took a little convincing for Love, but she eventually agreed... because I promised to make her an Ariel Costume as well. The little one got 2 Halloween Costumes out of the deal... TWO!
For Halloween, Z wanted to be a Super Hero and Love wanted to be a Princess... Which does not work for this Mama, because I need to have a Family Costume. Alvin & the Chipmunks was a happy compromise and for Love, we adjusted her costume to have a glittered green and hot pink skirt for Theodore, I wore the blue Simon Shirt, while hubby rocked the "Dave" sweater vest. This is quite possibly the EASIEST costume I have ever designed and created for the family. You can do it yourself too, I promise. If you are a little unsure about a glue gun, bobby pins, and felt I'll be more then happy to help you out with a link to purchase all 3 Alvin & the Chipmunk shirts, Chipmunk ears, & red Alvin hat with ears... Just for you!
DIY Instructions for Alvin Costume...
Z truly enjoyed being the troublemaker Alvin, and creating his costume was a cinch as well!
Lily & Frog Materials:
- Red Long Sleeve Adult T-Shirt (we bought a small Men's)
- Red baseball hat
- Yellow Heat Transfer Vinyl (or you can use fabric paint)
- Dark Brown Felt
- Light Brown Felt w a sticky side
- Glue gun
Lily & Frog Instructions:
1. Red Shirt: I purchased a bright red, long sleeve, Small Men's T-Shirt from my shirt wholesaler. Bright red, long sleeve, Small Men's T-Shirt they are easy enough to find online from Target, Walmart, and more. To create the "A" for Alvin, I used my trusty cutting system to design and create a giant, tall "A" measuring 11.5" x 16.75" from bright yellow Heat Transfer Vinyl. I used my heat press to adhere the yellow "A" to the bright red, long sleeve, Small Men's T-Shirt, the same why I design and create t-shirts. If you do not have a handy-dandy Heat Press, you can also use a very hot iron with a LOT of pressure (before I had a heat press, I would sit on my iron, lol). If you use Heat Transfer Vinyl, please follow the manufacturer instructions regarding heat temperature and pressure needed.
You can also create the giant, tall "A" from fabric paint or fabric markers. They are able to be purchased at your local fabric or craft store, and easily found online - Perfect for an Amazon Prime purchase.
2. Red Hat with Chipmunk Ears: Grab the dark brown felt and light brown felt with sticky side, red hat, and hot glue. I describe the light brown felt with sticky side because it will make your life amazingly easier, trust me. I would suggest preparing your area to prevent damage from the glue gun; I just roll out parchment paper because the hot glue peels right off, but newspaper is perfect as well.
From the dark brown felt cut 2 a HALF OVAL shapes. From the light brown felt cut 2 HALF OVAL shapes, which are slightly skinnier then the dark brown, as pictured below. Pull back the paper backing of the light brown felt with a sticky side, positioning it centered and slightly above the flat bottom of the dark brown half ovals. Repeat this 2 times, one for each ear, as pictured below (I have 4 pictured because I was making 6 total).
To create the cursed and open Chipmunk Ear, pinch and fold the flat bottom edge of the oval together, as pictured below, creating a ice cream cone shape. Place a line of glue along the seam you just created (watch your fingers, it will be HOT). To flip the ear up and open, I placed a tiny dot of glue deep in the ice cream cone shape and pinched the cone at the point from the outside. Somehow, this flipped the ear open, creating an ear which didn't flip down or closed.
Glue the ears to the hat with hot glue. Place a line of hot glue along the seam of hot glue already on the felt ears and place on hat where you would like... Takes 3 seconds!
I L-O-V-E this costume… We make one adorable Alvin & The Chipmunks Family!